Politician Profile Page
Teenage Pregnancy & Comprehensive Sexuality Education
7 Sep 2021
The Portfolio Committee unanimously agreed that a holistic approach is required to deal with reducing teenage pregnancy in South Africa. Teenage pregnancies rose since the start of the Covid-19 pandemic. The Department of Basic Education (DBE) briefed the Committee on its programmes to address teenage pregnancy. It informed the ...
DBE on: Second Chance Matric Programme; Support and Intervention for Learners who dropped out; Implementation of Teacher Development Programmes by PEDs; with Deputy Minister
31 Aug 2021
The Portfolio Committee on Basic Education met on a virtual platform with the Department of Basic Education (DBE) to engage on matters relating to the Second Chance Matric Programme (SCMP) and the implementation of teacher development programmes, with a special focus on mathematics, science and technology. A third presentation, on ...
Update on migration of Early Childhood Development: DSD & DBE briefing; with Ministers
25 Aug 2021
The Joint Portfolio Committees on Basic Education and Social Development met to hear the progress in implementing the migration of the Early Childhood Development (ECD) programme function from the Department of Social Development (DSD) to the Department of Basic Education (DBE). This decision had been announced in 2019 by President ...
Online Learning; DBE 2020/21 Quarter 4 performance; with Ministry
24 Aug 2021
With both the Minister and Deputy Minister present, the Department of Basic Education (DBE) reported it fully achieved 90% of its targets, as set out in the Annual Performance Plan for 2020-21, and partially achieved the remaining 10%. This compares with 61% of targets fully achieved and ...
DBE on: Gender Responsive Planning, Monitoring, Evaluation and Auditing Framework; GBV programmes; Misconduct by Educators / Officials in respect of GBV; with Deputy Minister
17 Aug 2021
The Committee convened virtually to receive briefings from the Department of Basic Education and the South African Council for Educators. The Deputy Minister was in attendance. The briefings were on the gender-responsive planning, monitoring, evaluation and auditing framework; GBVF programmes and ...
Unrest damage to KZN & Gauteng schools; School reopening readiness; with Minister
3 Aug 2021
The Committee Chairperson said that it was shocking that the cost of damages and vandalism to schools is estimated at over R141 million. At least 14 schools were targeted in Gauteng with damages of R38 million. The impact in KwaZulu-Natal was worse, with 144 schools, eight circuit management offices, ...
Status of School Preparedness for a possible Third Wave: DBE briefing; with Minister and Deputy Minister
1 Jun 2021
The Department presented that two decades of learning gains have been compromised during the COVID-19 pandemic. An assessment that was done showed that only 22% of Grade Four learners are able to read proficiently. During the pandemic, about 60% of contact learning time was lost.
The Department developed a sample ...
DBE 2020/21 Quarter 3 Performance; with Deputy Minister
25 May 2021
In a virtual meeting in the presence of the Deputy Minister, the Department of Basic Education (DBE) briefed the Portfolio Committee on Quarter 3 performance in 2020/21 going through each programme's indicators to report which targets were achieved and the reasons for those unachieved.
A variety of matters were discussed ...
ATC210303: Report of the Portfolio Committee on Basic Education on an oversight visit to the Gauteng Province (Ekurhuleni North Education Districts), KwaZulu-Natal Province (Umzimkhulu and Ixopo Education Districts) and Eastern Cape Province (Matatiele and Mount Fletcher Education Districts) dated 3 March 2021.
The Portfolio Committee on ...
Learner Admissions/Placements in Schools: DBE briefing with Deputy Minister
11 May 2021
Parliament’s Portfolio Committee on Basic Education convened in a virtual meeting with the Western Cape Education Department (WCED) to seek answers regarding the many learners who had not yet been placed in public schooling. The school year had begun in February, yet in March there were still 5 000 unallocated ...