Mr Speaker, as a former Hansard reporter in this House, it gives me great pleasure to move the following motion without notice:
That the House, in view of the fact that today marks the centenary of Hansard in the South African Parliament -
1) recognises with appreciation the indispensable role played by Hansard in recording and translating the debates of Parliament since 1910;
2) further recognises with appreciation the specific role played by Hansard reporters, translators and administrative staff over the past 100 years;
3) notes the challenges with which Hansard was confronted at the advent of democracy in 1994, particularly with the introduction of 11 languages, and the way in which these were overcome;
4) further notes the ongoing challenges that face Hansard, not least of all that members' speeches often require considerable editing and correction prior to publication and that it is through the tireless work of Hansard staff that a professional end product is produced;
5) cognisant of the important role Hansard played in recording the history of our country and Parliament as an institution, expresses its appreciation to Dr At van Wyk, author of a momentous new book on Hansard, titled: Hoor! Hoor! Hansard Honderd jaar debat 1910- 2010: and
6) resolves to wish the Secretary to Parliament and Hansard staff all success in ensuring the continued success of Hansard as a critical and indispensable service to our country and institution.