Madam Chair, I move without notice:
That the Council -
1) sends condolences to the family and friends of 20-year-old David Lilienfeld, who was killed last week after a shark ripped off his leg and he lost a vast amount of blood;
2) notes that David took to the water with a group of friends and his brother at a surf spot between Gordon's Bay and Kogel Bay, also known as "Caves";
3) acknowledges that a massive shark, presumed to be a great white, attacked him before eventually biting off his right leg, after which David was brought ashore by bystanders and friends but was confirmed dead at the scene by rescue personnel;
4) recognises that the SA Bodyboarding Association acknowledged that Lilienfeld's death was a major blow to the sport of bodyboarding; and
5) further recognises that David was a well-mannered boy who did his best for South African bodyboarding and represented South Africa at the world games in November 2011.
Motion agreed to in accordance with section 65 of the Constitution.