House Chairperson, I move without notice:
That the House-
1) notes that a recent report from the Institute of Race Relations revealed that only 33% of children in the Republic live in households where both parents are present;
2) further notes that many single parents across the Republic face daily battles to put a plate of food on the table, while incurring great costs to seek and collect child support from a former partner, who often defaults on child support;
3) encourages and ensures that legislation is strengthened to ensure the payment of child support;
4) supports the Child Maintenance Difficulties, South Africa's first annual national child support awareness week initiative, which will bring attention to the plight of single parents and the impact on children, to be held from 4 until 10 December 2019; and
5) calls on the Department of Social Development and the Department of Justice and Correctional Services to ensure that parents do not default on child support.