Hon House Chairperson, I move without notice:
That the House-
1) notes the untimely death of senior state advocate, Addelaid Ann Ferreira-Watt, aged 51, who was shot on her left hip when a weapon - believed to be a shotgun booked in as evidence in a house robbery case - was accidentally discharged in a regional court in Umzimkhulu, KwaZulu-Natal on Monday last week;
2) understands that she later died in a nearby hospital;
3) acknowledges the need for proper checks and balances to ensure that exhibits for evidence in our courtrooms, like weapons, are properly disarmed;
4) calls for a thorough investigation into the incident and that those responsible for the negligence be held accountable; and
5) extends its deepest condolences to the friends and family of the late senior state advocate, Addelaid Ferreira-Watt.