House Chairperson, I move without notice:
That the House -
1) notes that a massive fire broke out a few weeks ago at the Metallica Chemicals factory in Cato Ridge, KwaZulu- Natal;
2) further notes that the fire resulted in the contamination of the Umngcwini stream which flows into the Umgeni River which eventually flows into the ocean;
3) recognises that the Umgeni River is the main water source for communities living around KwaXimba, in Cato Ridge outside Durban;
4) further recognises that both people and animals have been affected by the elevated levels of mercury now present in the water; and
5) calls on the Ministries of Co-operative Governance and Traditional Affairs, and Environment, Forestry and Fisheries, to conduct a full investigation on the effects this has on the environment and on the affected communities as well as to provide immediate assistance where necessary.