Hon House Chairperson, I move without notice:
That the House-
1) notes that on Sunday, 23 February 2020, a fire broke out near Voortrekker road in Goodwood;
2) further notes that it is alleged that vagrants who were burning cables started the fire;
3) understands that an emergency call was made to the City of Cape Town Fire Department,
4) further understands and that within five minutes the fire department responded positively with various vehicles from different fire stations - Goodwood, Bellville, Belhar, Brooklyn, Kraaifontein and Landsdowne;
5) acknowledges that the Station Commander from the Goodwod Fire Station, the Station Commander from Belhar, Senior Fire Fighters from the Brooklyn Station, Senior Fire Fighter Staedler from the Kraaifontein Station, Platoon Commander from the Landsdowne Station and the Station Commander from Bellville acted in the most exemplary manner and with the utmost of urgency ensuring the fire was extinguished; and
6) also acknowledges that action by the above-mentioned officers prevented a major disaster in the area as the area is surrounded by many businesses;
7) therefore calls on this hon House to commend these officers for the speedy response to prevent a disaster; and
8) congratulate the City Of Cape town for the quick response time.
I so move.
Ms Z NKOMO
Mr A M SHAIK EMAM