(1) Whether a certain company (details furnished) signed any (a) contracts and/or (b) agreements with (i) his department and/or (ii) any provincial department of correctional services to render any services from 1 January 2005 to date; if not, what is the position in this regard; if so, (aa) on what date was each contract and/or agreement signed, (bb) what are the full details of the specified services that the specified organisation was expected to render in each case, (cc) where did the organisation render the services in each case and (dd) what is the total cost of each of the specified contracts and/or agreements?
(1)Whether the Barberton Correctional Services facility in the Umjindi Local Municipality in Mpumalanga has been without any water supply in the period 01 January 2016 up to the latest date for which information is available; if so, what is the position in this regard; if so, (a) on what dates and (b) for how long was the specified facility without a water supply;
(2) (a) what steps are (i) his department and/or (ii) any other (aa) national and/or (bb) provincial department taking to resolve water supply issues at the specified facility caused by low levels of the Lomati Dam, which supplies water to Barberton and (b) by when will the water supply issues at the specified facility be resolved?
1. Yes, on 05 February 2016 a request was received from the municipality to reduce water supply. The municipality also requested the centre to likewise reduce the pressure to the centres and households.
It should be mentioned that from 15 December 2013 Umjindi Municipality started reducing the water pressure to the farm because of the water demands from the local community and the available ...
(1) Whether Mr Clive Derby-Lewis was recently assaulted in the Pretoria Central Prison; if so, (a) when did the assault take place, (b) who was responsible for the assault, (c) what weapons were used to launch the assault and (d) what injuries did the specified person sustain in the assault; (2) whether any of the injuries could be regarded as life-threatening; if so, (a) which of the injuries were life-threatening and (b) what treatment did the specified person receive in this regard; (3) whether the alleged assailant has been criminally charged for the assault; if not, why not; if so, (a) when and (b) what is the nature of the charges; (4) whether during his incarceration the alleged assailant had been charged in connection with any other violent crimes; if so, (a) what are the relevant details and (b) why was the alleged assailant not moved to a maximum security prison?
(1) (a) Offender Clive Derby-Lewis was assaulted on Wednesday 26 February
(b) Offender Shalil Subjee assaulted offender Clive Derby-Lewis.
(c) A kitchen spoon was used to assault offender Clive Derby-Lewis.
(d) Offender Clive Derby-Lewis sustained lacerations on the back of
his head and left
(2) (a) No, the injuries were not life-threatening.
(b) The specified person received medication from the internal
medical ... More »
Whether all political prisoners who have been granted a pardon by the President of the Republic in accordance with section 84(2)(j) of the Constitution of the Republic of South Africa, 1996, have been released; if not, why not; if so, what are the relevant details?
The process of granting a pardon by the President of the Republic in
accordance with Section 84(2)(j) of the Constitution of the Republic of
South Africa, 1996, is handled by Department of Justice and Constitutional
Development. The Department of Correctional Services (DCS) assists by
providing information on offenders who have applied for presidential pardon
for political offences.
To date, DCS has not been informed ... More »
Whether all inmates who have been granted parole have been released; if not, why not; if so, what are the relevant details?
Yes, all offenders granted parole as at 31 January 2014 have been released. More »
(1) What happens to a person who commits another offence while on parole; (2) whether a person who is arrested while on parole will be treated as awaiting trial prisoner; if not, what is the position in this regard; if so, what is the awaiting trial period; (3) whether, when being sentenced, the person’s previous conviction for the other offence will be taken into account; if not, why not; if so, what are the relevant details?
(1) To what extent has his department’s strategic plan been aligned to the Seven-Point-Plan that was approved by Cabinet in 2007; (2) to what extent has his department’s budget been aligned with and addresses the priorities and recommendations of the National Development Plan; if not, (a) why not and (b) what are his department’s plans in this regard; if so, what are the relevant details?
(1) (a) How many prisoners escaped from the Makhado Correctional Centre in January 2014 and (b) in each case, (i) which prisoners escaped, (ii) on what date did the specified prisoners escape and (iii) for what crimes were they sentenced respectively; (2) (a) how did the prisoners escape and (b) were any officials implicated in the escape; if so, what disciplinary action has been taken against those officials; (3) whether any of the prisoners have subsequently been recaptured; if so, when?
(1) Whether he will provide details regarding the (a) incarceration of a certain person (name furnished) and (b) release of the said person without appearing in court; if not, why not; if so, what are the relevant details; (2) whether his department’s findings of the investigation pointed to any of its members being accomplices in the said person’s release; if not, what is the position in this regard; if so, (a) what are the details of the investigation that has been conducted by a certain person (name furnished) in this regard and (b) what are the further relevant details?
(1) (a) No, I will not be in a position to provide details regarding the
incarceration of the said person.
(b) No, I will not be in a position to provide details regarding
the release of the said person. I do not have enough details to that
will enable the tracing of the said person, such as the registration
number, the court case number, ... More »
Whether the position of HIV co-ordinator in the Western Cape provincial office has been advertised; if so, (a) on what date and (b) through which medium of communication?