1. (a) The total number of veterinarians in the KwaZulu-Natal (KZN) is sixteen (16).
(b) (i) The current vacant post is nine (09).
(ii) The Department is planning to recruit four (4) state veterinarians in the current financial year and then follows the next financial year.
2. One veterinarian in an average of 40 000 livestock unit.
3. The Department has implemented the Compulsory Community Service (CCS) since 2016. Currently we have received thirteen (13) veterinarians doing CCS. The department is in a process of procuring twelve (12) more prefabricated clinics to complement the five (5), procured by national department.
4. (a) The animal disease outbreak that occurred during the past financial year in KZN is Rabies, Brucellosis and Foot and Mouth Disease.
(b) Interventions are:
- Rabies: The province conducted awareness campaigns led by Hon MEC Mrs B.N. Sithole-Moloi. Strategic vaccination campaigns across the province and worked with relevant stakeholders.
- Brucellosis: Embarked on awareness campaigns led by Hon MEC Mrs B.N. Sithole-Moloi across the province. Sero-surveillance vaccinations across the province.
- Foot and Mouth Disease afflicted KZN in May 2021 and continues to be a serious concern. Surveillance has been conducted and the initial large area that was declared a Disease Management Area has been reduced. Further new information and latest control measures are being employed in the management of the disease.