Yes. There are mental health patients under the care of NGOs.
(a) The attached table provides information per province on the NGOs that are licensed to care for mental health patients and the total number each NGO is licensed for.
(b) The NGOs that provide care are “licensed” by provinces in terms of General Mental Health Care Act, Regulations 43.
(c) The following are the systems used by Provinces to monitor the NGOs:
- Monthly verification of services that are provided;
- Quarterly monitoring visits by District Mental Health Coordinators;
- Random monitoring visits by the District Teams;
- Annual inspections as mandated by the General Mental Health Regulations, which is linked to the process of annual renewal or withdrawal of the license; and
- Investigation of complaints.