a) The key features of the MoU include among other thing:
- Demarcation of roles: Updated to reflect the assignment of role players from Level 1-6.
- Roles and Responsibilities: A complete overall of roles and responsibilities reflecting:
- SGB’s powers need to be revised (Requires amendment to Schools Act)
- School Committees should be run by teachers (Requires amendment to School Sport Structures policy)
- Basic Education and Provinces must include School Sport as the strategic output.
- SRSA and Provinces facilitate the establishment of School Sport structures, while DBE initiates the process.
- DBE to provide basic sport infrastructure, SRSA to facilitate the provision of infrastructure through Sports Trust, National Lottery, MIG etc.
- Teacher Unions & SGBs Associations to included in the ex JNTT and ex JPTT
- Sport Code Committees to have a representation in the School Sport Coordinating Committees
- Federations to ensure that School Sport has an associate membership in their structure.
- Establishment of School Sport Coordinating Committee and its composition, Committee to be chaired by SRSA and DBE.
- Provision of infrastructure and resource: The provision of using MIG to build some of the School Sport infrastructure
- National School Sport Championships: (The three cycle is being highly contested, especially the break)
- Discussions are underway to review model of cyclic championships
- Sporting Codes reduction: The policy on prioritization on codes is being considered and once finalized it will be implemented.
- Funding: DBE should take full responsibility of funding levels 1-3 whilst SRSA take care of levels 4-6.
- Communication protocol: Across all levels DBE and SRSA officials should communicate their planned activities.
b) Measures that the Minister of Basic Education has put in place to:
(i) Monitor: Joint National Task Teams and Joint Provincial Task Teams are set up to bring both departments together and monitor progress made in implementing the programme and develop plans to address the challenges. Regular interactions for planning also take place between officials in DBE and SRSA.
(ii) Evaluate implementation: The DBE has various platforms of interacting with stakeholders on sports. However through the provincial departments of education, regular interactions are being held. SRSA gets these regular interactions and briefing from the DBE.
MS T XASA, MP
MINISTER OF SPORT AND RECREATION