a) Which core investment markets in terms of SA Tourism advertising currently occupy the lowest quartile that is the lowest 25%, of brand positivity ratings?
The following markets occupy the lowest quartile of brand positivity ratings:
- Nigeria 36%
- Australia 25%
b) What are the reasons for these countries occupying the lowest quartile?
- Positivity towards South Africa ranked low amongst Nigerians because they perceive South Africans as not having a welcoming reputation to West Africans. Challenges with Visa processing as well as attacks on foreign nationals negatively impacted on the positive image of South Africa.
- Concerns about safety and security in South Africa and negative sentiments by expatriates remain the key drivers of negative perceptions from Australia.
c) What steps is SA Tourism taking to improve positivity in these core markets.
- SA Tourism in collaboration with DIRCO and BrandSA, will be engaging the Expatriate Community with the objective of changing their negative perceptions about South Africa, generating positive conversation and reducing the spread of negative sentiment.
- SA Tourism will also use strategic partnerships such as the media, opinion leaders and influencers to amplify positive narratives, positioning South Africa as a safe, friendly and welcoming destination.
d) What are the further relevant details in this regard?
- SA Tourism will educate the trade to sell South Africa in a way that meets the needs of both the Nigerians and Australian travellers by showcasing a variety of experiences relevant to each market.
- A new SA Tourism marketing campaign will be launched in all international markets in mid-July 2017.