Hon Deputy Speaker, I move without notice:
That the House -
1) notes that on 5 May 2014, the South African National Blood Service (SANBS) lifted the ban on gay men in South Africa donating blood;
2) further notes that a new, non-discriminatory policy has been put in place that favours people in monogamous relationships, regardless of sexuality;
3) acknowledges that the old policy made it nearly impossible for gay men to donate blood and was widely criticised as being discriminatory;
4) congratulates the SANBS for their progressive efforts in treating all South Africans fairly and equally; and
5) encourages all healthy South Africans between the ages of 16 and 65 who lead a sexually safe lifestyle, to participate in the vital community service of donating blood regularly.