I move without notice:
That the House -
1) notes with great concern the appalling conditions under which learners at the Vimbukhalo Primary School in the Bergville district of northern KwaZulu-Natal receive education;
2) further notes that the school has 303 learners, who are accommodated in only four classrooms, which translates into an average of 75 learners in each room;
3) also notes that there are eight teachers who are expected to teach eight grades in four rooms;
4) acknowledges that these overcrowded classrooms are in a disgustingly filthy state and in urgent need of repair and that, while there is a water storage tank and a borehole pump, there is no water available as the pump and ancillary equipment no longer work;
5) further acknowledges that the parents blockaded the school and prevented both teachers and learners from entering the classrooms at a time when learners were involved in examinations; and
6) calls on the Minister of Basic Education to urgently intervene to ensure that the learners get the education they deserve in a safe environment.