THE PRESIDENCY: REPUBLIC OF SOUTH AFRICA
Private Bag X1000, Pretoria, 0001
QUESTION FOR WRITTEN REPLY
QUESTION NO. 2114
DATE PUBLISHED: 06 November 2009
DATE SUBMITTED: 24 November 2009
2114. Mr L S Ngonyama (Cope) to ask the President of the Republic:
(1) Whether the Government has been informed that the crisis in Zimbabwe
is worsening; if so, what are the relevant details;
(2) Whether he or the Government has played any role recently in trying
to preserve the functioning of the unity government in Zimbabwe; if not,
why not; if so, what role;
(3) Whether he will make a statement on the matter?
1) South Africa participated in the Summit of the Troika of the
SADC Organ on Politics, Defence and Security, which met in
Mozambique on 5 November 2009. Among the principal issues on the
agenda was the situation in Zimbabwe, and specifically the
outstanding issues with respect to the full implementation of
the Global Political Agreement (GPA).
The Summit, which was also attended by the three signatory parties to the
GPA, received an extensive briefing on the situation in Zimbabwe.
2) The Honourable Member is referred to the answer and responses to
follow-up questions to Oral Question no 11 given in the National
Assembly on 12 November 2009.
3) We will not make any statement on the matter at this time. As
the facilitator, the South African government is required to
evaluate progress and report back to the Chairperson of the
Organ on Politics, Defence and Security Cooperation.