Deputy Speaker, I move without notice on behalf of the Chief Whip of the Majority Party:
That the House -
1) welcomes the first penis transplant in the world by South African doctors, who successfully performed the operation on a young man who had his organ amputated after a botched circumcision ritual;
2) further notes the nine-hour transplant, which occurred in December last year, was part of a pilot study by Tygerberg Hospital in Cape Town and the University of Stellenbosch to help scores of initiates who either die or lose their penises in botched circumcisions each year;
3) recalls that the patient was 21-years-old when his penis was amputated three years ago, after he developed severe complications due to a traditional circumcision as a rite of passage into manhood;
4) further recalls that, according to the doctors, another nine patients will receive penis transplants as part of the study;
5) believes the procedure could eventually be extended to men who have lost their penises to cancer or as a last resort for severe erectile dysfunction; and
6) congratulates the doctors of the Tygerberg Hospital and the University of Stellenbosch for the breakthrough, and for raising the South African flag high.