227. Mr O de Beer (COPE â WC) to ask the Minister of Labour:
1) What is her departmentâs way forward regarding the (a) unstable labour
relations and (b) policy drifting that is impacting on the economy and
2) Whether she intends taking any action regarding the current challenges
in the labour sector; if not, why not; if so, what action;
3) What are the best practice interventions to turn the situation around in
Minister of Labour reply:
1. The Department is not a direct role player in collective bargaining
processes. The Department does, however, engage parties to certain disputes
to try to encourage a settlement as happened in the recent strike in the
motor retail sector.
2. The Department does not have responsibility for macro-economic policy
and is not aware of âpolicy driftâ that may be impacting on the economy and
growth. It is suggested that the Honourable member direct a specific
question in this regard to the Minister of Finance, Economic Development
and/or Trade and Industry.
3. The âbest practice interventionsâ refer to labour relations, then it is
the view of the Department that such interventions are best identified
through a process of social dialogue together with organized business and
organized labour which is what the Department is doing.